Byrnecut Burkina Faso (BBF) was awarded the five-year underground mining contract with West African Resources (WAF) in December 2018, at the Sanbrado Gold Project in Burkina Faso, West Africa. The flagship site is located approximately 90km east-southeast of the capital Ouagadougou, and approximately 20km south of the regional centre of Mogtedo.
With extensive underground mining services provided globally and current operating experience in West Africa, BBF are positioned to deliver high-quality results and accelerate cash flow for WAF.
Immediately after the excavation of the boxcut was complete in May 2019, BBF commenced portal establishment for Sanbrado underground, in order to access the high-grade gold mineralisation directly beneath the proposed M1 South open pit.
The project scope of works to be executed by a combination of expatriates and Burkinabe national personnel consist of:
– High-speed mechanised incline, decline and lateral development including ore drives (+10.8km);
– Longhole rising for vertical development of the escapeway and ventilation network (+0.8km);
– Installation, maintenance and operation of underground mine services;
– Production mining using long hole open stoping (+1.0Mt) and delivery of loose waste and cemented rock fill (CRF) backfill (+0.7Mt);
– Maintenance of the trackless mobile fleet of over 25 machines; and
– Workforce training and skills development, including safety systems and emergency response.